A College Student's Experiences With Technology

Thursday, August 16, 2007

My attempt at GTD

Like everyone else on the face of the planet, I keep stumbling across GTD pretty much everywhere I go. While getting the Book seems like the obvious solution, due to my local library's short supply, it seems that I will not be renting it anytime soon. (However, I am planning to perhaps buy the book this week if it will really change my life as so many claim) Fortunately, thanks to the miracle that is the Internet, I have managed to scrape up several bits and pieces of this "GTD" philosophy.

I have tried to put what I have learned into practice over the course of the summer, but since I have been on vacation, I have not really had any major tasks to track. Even so, the idea of dumping all the ideas in your brain into an inbox has come to be incredibly useful (what I know about GTD can be summarized into: Inbox, Contexts, Projects, Actions). The system that I have worked out so far involves iGTD , a webapp known as Jott and a few moleskines.

Jott is a free way to get your thoughts typed out and emailed to you. What you do is, after registering, you call their number and leae a message. The message will then be transcribed and will arrive in your inbox minutes later. I use this when I am out and about and realize that there is something I need to do when I get back. Then when I arrive home, my email reminds me of that important task.

The moleskine also functions as a collection device when I am away from home, however it is almost exclusively used in scenarios when leaving a message to Jott would be rude or inconvenient (e.g. at the movies).

Then later, when I return, I transcribe the tasks to iGTD where I can assign them various contexts. There, I can export and print the tasks as to-do lists based on context.

Once I get to school, I hope to set up my system to print off a daily to-do list every morning as I wake up. (I also hope to have read "Getting Things Done")

Cheers,

No comments: